September 5, 2011

My Mind's Eye - Lost & Found Two - Portebello Road - Absolutely Fabulous!

My Mind's Eye is on a roll. You've seen other Design Team projects from the new lines that are fully stocked at Paper Pals, and now it is my turn to share. I had the opportunity to work with the Portebello Road line, a gorgeous combination of blues and browns. This paper is so versatile too! I chose to break a rule at the Cory house and use a photo of my son Spencer for Design Team layouts that will be at the store! You see, Spencer isn't fond of being "recognized" by his female friends and begged me not to use him as my subject matter anymore. Alas, this photo and this paper, beckoned me otherwise.

OK. This is a really straightforward set of goodies. On the layout, I followed three easy steps:
Step 1 - No matter what you think of the patterns in the paper line, trust the designer, and trust yourself! As you can see, I tried to do both in using the glittery green and blue diagonal print as accents to the "flowery" background paper.
Step 2 - layer, layer, layer...bits and pieces of the other papers (front and back sides) using strips and circles here and there
Step 3 - Embellish, embellish, embellish! I used a tiny Ali Edwards stamp, and goodies from the decorative brads that are part of this line. In addition, I inked the pom pom trim a darker shade of brown to coordinate with this background paper better. The trim looks fabulous with the papers that have more of the blue tones as well!

Next, I turned to my Card Ideas for Paper Crafters magazine (the current edition) for inspiration You can get one at the store...it is good! The Thank you card was inspired by "Several Circles Birthday (p. 49). The You Are So Special card was inspired by "Gradient Blues" on (p. 64), and the Gratitude card just came to me after perusing the magazine over and over. I share these examples so you can see how to take a basic concept and make it your own.



Finally, I turned to the scraps I had left and wanted to do something else with the adorable pom pom trim*. I just couldn't toss the remaining piece of the background paper either. You see, when making a layout with a large photo and mat, I usually cut out the background paper from behind it so I can use it in other smaller projects. This cute little photo holder provides a nice stand for the little dresser decor item I made for my daughter to remind her of her long-standing friendship with her BFF. The girls are 12 now, the photo was taken at Camryn's 7th B-day party, and they have been friends since they were 4 years old!

There you have it... choose a line, trust the designer, and go for it!

Enjoy!
Anita

* I also think the pom pom trim would be a great embellishment to a lampshade, pillow, or curtain! Think outside the box!
Pin It!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Ooooh! I love this line and what you've done with it Anita! The layout is great. My boys are still at the age where they love to have themselves displayed anywhere. :o)

Karen Tews Lien said...

Love your layout and cards Anita! Don't tell Spencer, but I have heard "look it's Spencer" just a few times from some young gals! LOL!!

Leah said...

So glad you are back on the team. I love the way you layer. I need to take some lessons. My favorite is the circle card and the photo stand.

AngMomof3 said...

Anita, look at all you did with this line! I love the idea of makding a mini layout w/ a BFF photo for a daughter. I sometimes forget to take photos out of scrapbooks sometimes. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Blog Archive